24/09/2010

•PRE DIGITAL

QUEEN POSTER. 1979
This is the first illustration I ever sold. I started it during the summer months of 1979 whilst still in my final year at Liverpool.
I watched Wimbledon on TV as I painted and airbrushed this piece from photographs I'd taken myself when we saw Queen live at the Empire in Liverpool the year before.
I travelled to London to meet Peter Small and Mal Burns of Communication Vectors. (what a name) and they paid me in cash - £160 for this and for a Pink Floyd poster too.
I travelled back to Liverpool with a pocket full of tenners, the promise of a printed poster and a huge, satisfied grin.
They also commissioned 2 more posters/bands for Visions of Rock (Proteus Books) and my Police and Yes posters were the first book work that I had published.

Please feel free to click on any image to enlarge but remember all are strictly copyright.©